What is Calgary's
The economic strategy Calgary in the New Economy sets out to achieve an ambitious vision for the city that creates long-term prosperity and opportunities for all. It is a path forward toward economic diversification and an economy that is inclusive and accessible for everyone.
The strategic framework is comprised of five connected key drivers and goals that support a future-proof, sustainable economy for Calgary. Tested against global trends and through future scenario planning, these five drivers must work in tandem to create enduring prosperity.
Calgary is the place where bright minds and big ideas come together with an unmatched spirit to help solve global challenges.
KEY DRIVERS IN CALGARY'S
Together, we can achieve our vision and the goals in each driver through tangible transformational initiatives. These transformational initiatives advance multiple drivers. Find out how progress is measured in the full Calgary in the New Economy economic strategy.
GOAL: HOME TO BRIGHT MINDS
- Be a welcoming city where everyone can grow their careers.
- Provide adaptive, future-focused learning opportunities that empower life-long skills development.
- Attract people who want to make a difference, create solutions and change the world.
- EDGEUP and digital skills training
- Live Tech, Love Life
GOAL: A CREATIVE HUB
- Build an environment where Calgary companies can accelerate and scale to compete globally.
- Be a magnet for innovative and creative thinkers by investing in development and attraction opportunities.
- Accelerate real-world application of research and development through corporate investment and Post-Secondary Institution (PSI) collaboration.
GOAL: THE BEST PLACE TO BUILD A LIFE
- Build a city with a net zero economy.
- Create a city where everyone is welcome, safe and able to build a meaningful life.
- Build vibrant, healthy and accessible communities.
- Be known as an inviting city with year-round experiences for everyone to enjoy.
- Greater Downtown Plan
- Climate Resilience Strategy
- Experience Economy
- Nighttime Economy
BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT DRIVER
GOAL: TOP LOCATION FOR BUSINESS
- Build a globally and digitally connected city.
- Be a place where businesses are encouraged to test and use technology and data to start, grow, and thrive.
- Champion efficient and effective policies supporting business practices.
GOAL: AN ICONIC CITY
- Demonstrate Calgary is a vibrant and inclusive community with a global perspective.
- Tell a unified story to strengthen consistent and competitive identity here and everywhere.
- Share Calgary’s story as an ambitious city full of energy, optimism and opportunity.
- Calgary Film Commission
- Collaborative brand initiatives
- Influencing reputation and perceptions
- Unified storytelling
YOUR VOICE MATTERS, CALGARY
As the community’s economic strategy, Calgary in the New Economy evolves through continuous engagement with Calgarians. Share your insight and feedback on the right path forward for our city through this 5-minute survey.
HOW WILL YOU TRANSFORM CALGARY? ⬇️
See real-life examples of Calgary in the New Economy.
ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT IS A COLLABORATIVE EFFORT AND ALL CALGARIANS PLAY A PART.
We are committed to supporting meaningful action towards Indigenous Reconciliation and the removal of systemic barriers to opportunity for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion.
This is an exciting time to be in Calgary and we invite you to be part of the future.Drop us a line