Calgary’s post-secondary educational landscape is alive with variety and possibilities.
Its institutions offer diverse experiences such as distance learning, travel study, practicum, internships and apprenticeships in addition to learning in an academic setting. Programs cater to international students and those interested in lifelong learning, as well as students fresh from secondary school.
Calgary has seven major universities and colleges, offering a variety of world-class programs:
- The Alberta College of Art + Design (ACAD) is the only degree-granting college of art and design in the prairie provinces, and one of only four such schools across Canada. Its 1,300 students pursue studio-based four-year bachelor degrees in fine arts or design in 11 disciplines ranging from Visual Communication Design to Glass, and its doors are open to over 2,500 extended studies students from across Calgary every year.
- Ambrose University College offers professional ministry degrees (both undergraduate and seminary). In addition, Ambrose’s 600-plus students can pursue Bachelors of Arts, Education, Music and Science.
- Bow Valley College (BVC) is a comprehensive community college for Calgary and the surrounding region, offering diploma and certificate programming in health care, justice studies, human services, and business administration to more than 14,000 students. The college’s mandate includes customizing programs for special populations with unique learning needs, including new Canadians.
- Mount Royal University (MRU) provides a variety of programs and courses including bachelor’s degrees, diplomas and certificates for its 12,000 students with a focus on providing quality teaching and small class sizes.
- SAIT offers skill-oriented education to more than 70,000 registrants each year, with credentials ranging from apprenticeships to baccalaureate degrees. Students choose from programs in eight schools, including construction, health and public safety, business, engineering and hospitality.
- St. Mary’s University is an innovative teaching and research university that provides affordable, accredited and highly valued degrees in the Liberal Arts, Sciences and Education. Through the pursuit of knowledge and service to the community, we prepare our students to become lifelong learners, engaged citizens and compassionate members of society.
- The University of Calgary serves over 30,000 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education students in diverse areas, from business to veterinary medicine. The university has achieved international renown for research in the areas of biomedical engineering, energy and environment, and public policy.