Filming in Calgary

Film permits are required to film any theatrical motion picture, television program, television commercial, music video or commercial still photography, on streets or property under the jurisdiction of the City of Calgary.

Please review and use the Location Manager Checklist to guide you through the process and requirements.

Locations Checklist

Permit exceptions

The permit requirement does not apply to television stations preparing stories for news or current affairs programs. Similarly, it does not apply to businesses or individuals retained by City of Calgary business units to prepare training or promotional materials for City purposes.

Three requirements

The following documentation must be received at least 5 business days before any permits will be issued. Please allow at least 10 business days for permits to be processed.  Please note for an optimal online experience, we recommend you complete these forms on a desktop in the latest version of Google Chrome or Mozilla FireFox for PCs or Macs.

1. Submit the film production information form

Film Production Information Sheet – This form provides basic information about the production and the production company; a brief outline of all planned activities; the initial shooting schedule; and approximate number of cast and crew members. Please complete this online form and submit it. If you are having any issues completing or submitting the form, please contact [email protected] for assistance. 

 2. Submit the acceptance of terms and conditions form

Acceptance of Terms & Conditions Form – This form is a location agreement with the City of Calgary that must be signed for productions of 10 days or less. Download this form and email the completed version to [email protected].

3. Provide proof of commercial general liability insurance

Proof of commercial general liability insurance in the amount of not less than $2,000,000 (two million dollars) inclusive limit for any occurrence must be provided. The City of Calgary and Calgary Economic Development are to be named as an additional insured. Liability Insurance must be provided by an insurance company registered to do business in the Province of Alberta;

  • The City of Calgary (PO Box 2100, Station M, Calgary, AB T2P 2M5) and Calgary Economic Development (Fifth Avenue Place, West Tower)
    Suite 2600, 237 4 Avenue SW Calgary, Alberta T2P 4K3) are to be named as an additional insured;
  • Automobile third-party liability insurance in the amount of not less than $1,000,000 (one million dollars) inclusive limit covering all vehicles used in connection with the film-making activities;
  • That any and all claims or legal suits or actions involved must be dealt with in accordance with the laws of the Province of Alberta and under the jurisdiction of the Law Courts of Alberta. 
  • Additional insurance may be required depending on the filming activities in which case the amount will be decided by The City's Risk Manager.

City of Calgary locations & services

Using City parking, streets, parks or transit? Do you need City of Calgary location services provided by Calgary Fire or Calgary Police Services? A permit may be required.

Applications must be sent to our Film, TV & Creative Industries office a minimum of 10 business days in advance for all services unless otherwise stated. Fees may apply. 

COVID-19 information

The screen-based production sector-specific guidance has been archived on the Government of Alberta Biz Connect website for your reference. The information and suggestions outlined in the guidance document are optional, and it is up to the individual productions to determine what measures, if any, to implement.

It is the responsibility of the permit holder to ensure they are aware of and are adhering to the current COVID-19 restrictions in the City of Calgary.

For more information:

Important information

Film Permit Fees (Effective January 2023)*

Various fees are charged for use of City of Calgary streets, parks, equipment and personnel. 

*Prices subject to change

Generic Permit to Film: No charge

Traffic control set-up

  • Use of street / sidewalk: $27.00/day plus tax 
  • Work order coordination: $136.50+
  • Small & medium NPAT (signage): $345.00+
  • Large detours: $585.00+

Parking authority (ParkPlus System): Varies by area, regular parking rates apply

Use of parks
$26.25 admin fee per application (non-refundable, due upon processing of application) plus a $4.75 risk management fee

  • Green Space: $56.62+ / day
  • Pathways: $56.62 - $82.56+ / day
  • Picnic Sites: $69.57+ / site (based on # of people)
  • Playfields: $1.20 - $23.10+ / hr (a $4.75 risk management fee is applied to each permit. Playfields are subject to a minimum $10.00 + GST fee)
  • Athletic Parks: $24.11 - $165.62+ / hr
  • Ice & Non-Ice Rates: $65.09 - $282.51 / hr
  • Arena Room Rates: $25.00/hr - $4780.65

 Use of City-owned property: Negotiable

$250 + permit fee

  • 1 C-Train / LRT Car: $451 / hr (3 hr min)
  • 1 transit bus: $175 / hr (2 hr min)
  • Transit staff (electrician, safety, signals, security): $155 / hr (3 hr min)
  • Transit Police Officers: $142 / hr (3 hr min)

Police (Pay Duty): 
Min. 3 hr charge per officer / vehicle (all charges subject to GST, minimum of 2 week’s notice for requests, 3 hr charge per officer for less than 24 hr cancellation)

  • Constable: $148.61 / hr
  • Sergeant: $174.67 / hr
  • Staff Sergeant: $189.82 / hr
  • Marked vehicle: $30.00 / hr (max. $360/vehicle/day)

Fire Department:
1 hour minimum may apply

  • Open flame: $151 / location
  • Pyrotechnics: $361 / location
  • Special effects: $362 / location
  • 5 or more locations: $1569
  • Safety codes fee: $12
  • Safety codes officer: $114 / hr, $219 / hr nights and weekends

Additional Resources

Information for property owners, extras and production staff.

Need more information?

Contact our team

Subscribe to Our Mailing List