Hiring foreign workers
The following resources are available to employers seeking to hire foreign workers, both temporary and permanent.
For employers looking for global talent markets to recruit talent, Calgary Economic Development completed a demand and global labour supply looking at the top markets in Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom and Ireland to recruit for 25 of Calgary’s in-demand occupations.
To view Calgary Economic Development’s 2012 Demand and Labour Supply Study, visit the Workforce Publications section.
Temporary Foreign Workers
- In most cases, employers will likely need to work with Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) to get confirmation of the job offer
- After obtaining a labour market opinion, the employee needs to apply to Citizenship and Immigration Canada for work permit.
Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program
- An employer-driven immigration program operated by the Government of Alberta
- Temporary workers in Canada under NAFTA
- Cross-border movement of business persons within Mexico, USA and Canada
International Qualifications Assessment Service
- IQAS provides an advisory educational assessment service which compares educational qualifications from other countries to provincial educational standards
English as a Second Language
- SAIT Polytechnic - English Language Foundations (ELF)
- University of Calgary - English Language Program
- Mount Royal University - Language Programs
- Bow Valley College - ESL programs