Economic Development Strategy
The 10-year Calgary Economic Development Strategy serves as a framework and guiding document for The City of Calgary and its civic partners. This document is a strategic plan for sustainable, equitable and manageable growth of Calgary’s economy. The Strategy was approved by Calgary City Council in 2008 following an extensive public consultation process (see Background tab for more information).
The Calgary Economic Development Strategy is segmented into three main goals. The Strategy contains objectives and actions to ensure that the foundation for long-term prosperity is in place, as well as objectives and actions that represent big, bold, visionary ideas that, if implemented, will ensure Calgary takes its place amongst the pinnacle of global cities.
The Strategy is used in three key ways:
- As a guide for making long-term planning decisions. Endorsed and influenced by Calgary City Council, many of the actions and priorities of the Strategy have been embedded within Calgary’s Council Priorities for 2009-2011 so that economic impact considerations are included in municipal decision-making;
- As direction for the development of economic development agency plans, projects and budgets. Calgary’s four economic development agencies incorporate the actions of the Strategy into their annual plans and budgets; and
- As the source of ideas and inspiration for community action and collaboration.
Many of the priorities have brought together Calgary companies and Calgarians to achieve the Strategy goals, including a series of new and innovative initiatives. The identified actions were deemed to be timely and well positioned for success within a three-year time frame. Some of the projects may transition into the budget cycles of 2012 and beyond while other additional projects will commence beyond 2011.
For Calgary Economic Development, the Calgary Economic Development strategy is how we do business. The document shapes the initiatives we introduce, our key industry sectors and the national and international markets we pursue.
Goals and objectives
Goal 1: Focus on people and community
- Educate and engage
- Remove barriers to meaningful employment
- Enhance the city’s sense of place and experience
Goal 2: Focus on business and enterprise
- Strategically develop Calgary’s economy
- Provide smart infrastructure
- Create the environment for smart ideas and innovation
Goal 3: Focus on international reach
- Promote the Calgary brand and identity
- Diversify tourism and convention activity
- Enhance international business development and connections
Read the full 10-year Calgary Economic Development Strategy.