As Canada's fourth-largest filming jurisdiction, Calgary boasts award-winning crews and locations. The Calgary region benefits from an average of $150 million in film, television and digital production each year, and is responsible for 82 per cent of all the productions spend in Alberta.

Alberta has garnered more Oscar, Golden Globe and Emmy® Award nominations than any other jurisdiction in Canada.

Calgary is best known for the majestic, awe-inspiring scenery central to the imagery and imagination evoked by the frontier of the untamed west and can be seen in films and television shows such as The Revenant, Brokeback Mountain and Heartland. Yet, Calgary's remarkably diverse geography and vibrant urban settings make it a very popular setting for a vast range of productions. From the deserts of Afghanistan, to the battlefields of feudal Japan to a trendy restaurant in Beverly Hills, Calgary is a chameleon able to play a wide spectrum of roles. Summer, winter, spring or fall. Calgary Economic Development plays a major role in Calgary’s film, television and digital media industry. Through the office of the Film Commissioner, Calgary Economic Development works with The City of Calgary to facilitate all permit and application requests. The Film Commissioner and Logistics Coordinator work in collaboration with local film scouts to facilitate tours of Calgary region locations for producers, filmmakers and location managers considering Calgary as a filming location.

Below you will find information on:

Permits and Applications

A film permit(s) is required to film any theatrical motion picture, television program, television commercial or music video on streets or property under the jurisdiction of the Corporation of The City of Calgary, or when off-street film-making affects the normal use of the adjacent street.

  • This permit requirement does not apply to television stations preparing stories for news or current affairs programs. Similarly, it does not apply to businesses or individuals retained by City of Calgary business units to prepare training or promotional materials for City purposes.
  • Changes, corrections or additions to an original permit will require a new permit application.

To film in Calgary two mandatory application forms are required. Please fax your forms to our Film, Television & Creative Industries team at (403) 221-7828 or call (403) 221-7886 for more information on permits and applications.

Mandatory Forms

The following documentation must be on file with The City of Calgary or the Film, Television & Creative Industries Commission before any permits will be issued. Please 'download' the form and submit from your device (do not submit from a web browser): 

1. Film Production Information Sheet

This information sheet provides basic information about the production and the production company; a brief outline of all planned activities; the initial shooting schedule; and approximate number of cast and crew members.

2. Acceptance of Terms and Conditions for Filming in Calgary

Form must be downloaded and faxed, or attached to the Film Production Information Sheet when submitted.

a) A location agreement (Acceptance of Terms and Conditions) with the City of Calgary must be signed for productions of 10 days or less. For productions of more than 10 days, a long form Location Agreement must be signed.

b) Comprehensive general liability insurance in the amount of not less than $2,000,000 (two million dollars) inclusive limit for any occurrence. Additional insurance may be required depending on the filming activities in which case the amount will be decided by The City's Risk Manager. Liability Insurance must be provided by an insurance company registered to do business in the Province of Alberta;

  • Automobile third-party liability insurance in the amount of not less than $1,000,000 (one million dollars) inclusive limit covering all vehicles used in connection with the film-making activities;
  • The City of Calgary (PO Box 2100, Station M, Calgary, AB T2P 2M5) and Calgary Economic Development (731 – 1 St SE, Calgary AB T2G 2G9) are to be named as an additional insured;
  • That any and all claims or legal suits or actions involved must be dealt with in accordance with the laws of the Province of Alberta and under the jurisdiction of the Law Courts of Alberta. 

Commonly Used Forms

In order to expedite the permit application process, detailed and accurate information is required. Please 'download' the form and submit from your device (do not submit from a web browser): 

Other Forms

Please 'download' the form and submit from your device (do not submit from a web browser): 

Filming Guidelines

In partnership with The City of Calgary, and as part of Calgary’s Film Friendly Procedures, the following filming guidelines have been developed to ensure film crews and Calgarians can effectively work together to create award-winning productions.

Please note: To film in Calgary, certain permits are required and may be subject to fees. Visit the Permits & Applications section above to apply for a permit, and the Fees section to identify applicable costs.

When filming activities are permitted

Hours for filming, move-ins, move-outs and related activities are:

  • 7 a.m. - 10 p.m. Monday through Saturday
  • 9 a.m. - 10 p.m. on Sundays and Holidays 

If loud noises are expected during filming, a noise exemption request must be submitted to The City of Calgary’s 311 department and approved by Bylaw Services for filming in both residential and non-residential areas between the hours of 10 p.m. - 7 a.m. The assigned Bylaw officer will advise the applicant on what type of notification to the public is necessary.

Although a noise exemption request must be made for filming activities in commercial, industrial and the non-residential areas of the downtown core, Bylaw Services will have increased flexibility in their approvals for these areas. All requests are subject to the conditions outlined in the Use of Special Effects, Weapons, Explosives, Stunts, Loud Noises or Helicopters.

Closing streets, alleys or sidewalks

The City of Calgary is prepared to close streets, alleys, lanes or sidewalks to allow for actual filming. As "No Parking" signs must be posted 12 hours in advance of the filming, the following information is required by the Film, Television & Creative Industries office five (5) working days before filming:

  • The streets where the filming is to take place (attach map);
  • Number of traffic lanes to be closed;
  • Existing regulations on the street such as parking/no parking zones, meters, rush-hour limits, handicapped parking, etc.;
  • How access will be maintained to adjacent businesses/residential areas;
  • Detailed description of the filming to be done; and,
  • Date and times of the filming.

Streets in the downtown core (Bow River to 12 Ave. South and 6 St. East to 11 St. West) will not be closed during the normal business day unless:

  • Adequate alternate routes are available as determined by Traffic Engineering personnel;
  • Adequate access is assured to adjacent businesses/residential areas as determined by Traffic Engineering personnel;
  • Public transit can be maintained on the portion of the street to be closed or on adjacent streets as determined by Calgary Transit personnel; or,
  • Major streets will not be closed during the high volume traffic periods. Lane closures will be considered if the impact to the public is within reason and congestion can be mitigated by issuing a public service announcement regarding the affected area prior to the event.

Calgary Police Service officers may be required to undertake traffic control duties for any on-street filming that will affect or interfere with traffic. Traffic Engineering will determine if police assistance is required prior to issuing permits. All costs associated with the hiring of pay duty officers will be paid for by the applicant.

The City of Calgary Roads - Permits area will set the conditions on Street Use Permits for street, alley, and sidewalk closures. Failure to adhere to, or exceed the permit conditions, will result in the permit being revoked and all work suspended for the remaining portion of that project.

NOTE: The applicant must sign the front page of the permit, at the bottom left corner where is says "Applicant's Signature" and sign/initial the bottom of the second page entitled "Street Use Permit Conditions" and return it to Traffic Engineering before the document is considered to be valid

Filming on City property other than streets

The City of Calgary owns many facilities that are generally available to the film industry. These include the Municipal Building (excluding Council Chambers), City Hall complex, parks, pathways, recreation facilities, landfill sites and warehouses. An application for permission to film in these locations must be submitted to and coordinated by the Film, Television & Creative Industries office.

The City Clerk's Office must provide approval for any film inquiries involving the Municipal Building Atrium, Municipal Plaza and Historic City Hall.

Use of Calgary Transit facilities require the approval of the Calgary Transit Director or designate.

Your request should be in writing at least five (5) days in advance and provide as much of the following information as possible.

  • The building, park or facility and the specific locations which you plan to use including any space needed for equipment, etc.;
  • The exact nature of the filming to be done;
  • The date and time required including site set up and clean up;
  • Why this location is requested;
  • The number of crew, cast, support vehicles and equipment being used;
  • The names of cast members that may attract many onlookers;
  • The script for the scene(s) to be shot;
  • Any special effects, stunts or loud noises;
  • Any special technical needs, e.g., utilities, parking, security, moving existing furniture, wall decorations, etc.; and,
  • Notice of any controversial scene(s) such as nudity, violence, etc.

Production companies must remember that The City requires these facilities to serve Calgarians on an ongoing basis; therefore filming may be limited and will not be permitted if it severely impacts The City's ability to function. Filming in certain locations may not be allowed and facilities may have specific conditions for filming. Previously booked events will take precedence.

Fees and security deposits will be negotiated in conjunction with The City department responsible for the facility, the Film, Television & Creative Industries office and the Location Manager. If access to buildings or grounds is granted, all associated costs including service staff and City security will be charged to the film company.

A walk through inspection facilitated by a representative of the Film, Television & Creative Industries office in conjunction with the Location Manager for the production and a Corporate Properties & Buildings representative will take place before and after filming to assess any damages incurred.

Parking for film unit vehicles

The City will attempt to provide street parking space for essential film unit vehicles. As The City must post "No Parking" signs 12 hours before the effective date of the permit, the Film, Television & Creative Industries office must be provided with the following information five (5) working days in advance of the required signing:

  • The streets to be reserved for parking vehicles (attach map);
  • Existing regulations on the street such as parking or no parking zones, meters, rush hour limits, handicapped parking, etc.;
  • Detailed description of the filming to be done; and,
  • Date and time the signage is required.

To apply for a parking permit, visit the Permits & Applications section.

Permitted streets will be reserved overnight if the permit allows for shooting on consecutive days.

This parking is not for cast and/or crew personal vehicles. Arrangements must be made for off-street parking and/or shuttle vans/buses should be used.

All film production vehicles must display a valid parking permit in the windshield of each parked vehicle. Vehicles not displaying a valid permit may receive parking tickets. Film crews are not allowed to park vehicles in front of fire hydrants, driveways, within five metres of other areas as deemed by The City of Calgary, Traffic Engineering. Vehicles may be ticketed and towed in these cases.

Hooding parking meters

It is the Traffic Operations Division's responsibility to install and remove the hoods from any parking meters used for film parking. Note: Calgary Parking Authority's new ParkPlus System is now in effect in areas throughout the downtown core. Therefore, reserving street space requires the placement of "No Parking" signs as indicated above.

Towing illegally parked vehicles

If it is necessary to tow a vehicle that is parked in a signed area, the Location Manager must call the Calgary Parking Authority Enforcement Section at (403) 537-7100. It is illegal for the production company to request a towing company to move a vehicle; this is the responsibility of the Calgary Parking Authority.

Restrictions on use of helicopters, hot air ballons and low-flying aircraft

Authority to fly lower than 1,000 feet above ground level is delegated to the Regional Director, Aviation Regulations, Transport Canada (Edmonton).

Obtaining Transport Canada approval for helicopters, hot air balloons, ultra light or low-flying aircraft is the responsibility of the helicopter or charter aircraft company hired by the film production company. They will require a letter from The City of Calgary (Roads) stating that it has or does not have objections to these flights. This letter will be prepared by The City of Calgary - Traffic Safety Department and will be sent directly to Transport Canada. Aviation liability insurance is required in the amount of $5 million with The City of Calgary named as an additional insured.the  Please note that aviation liability is not covered under standard comprehensive general liability.

In addition, City permission is required if an aircraft is to land and/or takeoff from a City-owned property, e.g. street, building, parking lot, or any of the sixteen park launch sites. This permission must be obtained from The City of Calgary (Roads) through the Film, Television & Creative Industries office.

There are two exceptions to this requirement:

  • Landings and takeoffs at Calgary International Airport - allowed 24 hours a day - certain restrictions apply.
  • Landings and takeoffs at the Downtown Heliport - allowed only during daylight hours using visual flight. Permission must be obtained from The City of Calgary (Roads) as required by Transport Canada.

Note: Permission is required prior to using the Downtown Heliport. Contact the City of Calgary at 311 a minimum of one full working day in advance of the landing.

Special effects, weapons, explosive, stunts, loud noises or helicopters

The Film, Television & Creative Industries office must be notified at least five (5) working days in advance of any scenes requiring special effects, stunts, loud noises, visible weapons (whether being fired or not), and helicopters or low-flying aircraft. Verbal and written notification to residents and businesses must also make reference to these activities. The City of Calgary reserves the right to have production companies survey affected residents before permits are issued in these cases.

The presence of the Calgary Police Service and/or Fire Department staff is usually required during this type of filming and will be coordinated by the Film, Television & Creative Industries office. Please review the EMS, Fire and Police Assistance guidelines.

Community Standards Bylaw

The City has enacted a Community Standards Bylaw setting out permitted sound levels measured at the point of reception for continuous sounds. The Community Standards Bylaw is available to view as a PDF document.

These levels are:

Point of receptionContinuous soundNon-continuous sound
  Daytime Nighttime Daytime Nighttime
Residential development

65 dBA Leq (1 hour)

or Ambient +5 dBA Leq (2 hours)

55 dBA Leq (1 hour) 85 dBA Leq (15 min) 75 dBA Leq (15 min)
Non-residential development

85 dBA Leq (1 hour)

or Ambient +5 dBA Leq (2 hour)

  85 dBA Leq (1 hour)  

Notifying residents and businesses

An information letter must be delivered to those residents and businesses directly impacted by the closure of a street, alley or sidewalk, including road detours, or being subjected to the lights and/or noise of the film crew on set. A letter must also be delivered if the on-street parking is affected by film production vehicle parking. A copy of the written notification must also be submitted to the Film, Television & Creative Industries office who will subsequently provide a copy to The City's operations centre (311), the Aldermanic office for the applicable wards, Bylaw Services, Community Associations and Business Revitalization Zones where applicable. The production company will place a sign(s) on the sidewalk in the area advising public that filming is taking place. Filming involving loud special effects, gunfire, etc. requires a larger notification area within the general vicinity.

The information letter should be printed on the Behind The Scenes template along with company letterhead and include:

  • The title of the production, contact information for the production office and brief details on the project;
  • The dates and times crews will be working in the area with a description of what the crew will be doing;
  • Where production vehicles are permitted to park, including any closures, detours or after hours filming that may affect the area;
  • The name and phone number of the Location Manager and the Assistant Location Manager (primary contact);
  • The phone number of the Logistics Coordinator - Film, Television & Creative Industries (403) 221-7829 (secondary contact); and,
  • The template should also encourage the public to contact 311 to receive after hours (24/7) service.

Dear Neighbour Letter | Microsoft Word Template

Dear Neighbour Letter | Microsoft Word Document

The production company should ensure its staff acts in a safe and professional manner. This includes refraining from trespassing, littering, lewd or improper language or dress. Care should be taken that vehicle and generator exhausts and spillover lighting do not negatively affect residents and businesses. The safety of the public and enjoyment of their property should not be jeopardized.

Emergency Medical Services assistance

Personnel from Calgary’s Emergency Medical Services, Fire Department and Police Services are required at certain times during filming. Please note: Fees may be applicable. Visit the Fees section to view all EMS/Fire/Police rates, and contact the Sector Specialist with any questions.

All inquiries regarding Emergency Medical Services (EMS) participation must be made through the Logistics Coordinator a minimum of five (5) working days in advance. Short notice requests will be considered on an individual basis by the Superintendent of Operational Administration (EMS) and every effort will be made to accommodate filming companies.

Requests for assistance should be in writing and include the following information:

  • Number of paramedic units required; Number of paramedics required;
  • Special equipment requested;
  • Date, time and estimated duration of filming;
  • Technical advisors requested for medical scripts.

Any special considerations for filming, such as protective gear needed or special skills that may be required should also be outlined.

EMS can provide standby units/paramedics to the film company during potentially dangerous situations. Multiple day assignment rates are negotiable.

Fire Department assistance

Personnel from Calgary’s Emergency Medical Services, Fire Department and Police Services are required at certain times during filming. Please note: Fees may be applicable. Visit the Fees section to view all EMS/Fire/Police rates, and contact the Sector Specialist with any questions.

The permission of the Fire Chief is required if a film production company wishes to film Fire personnel, vehicles, equipment, buildings, uniforms, etc. The request must be made in writing to the Calgary Fire Department. All pertinent details of the script involving the Fire Department, as well as a brief outline of the film, is required a minimum of ten (10) working days prior to their use.

The Calgary Fire Department is recognized as an industry leader and has established an impeccable reputation. Any film content that tarnishes the Fire service or the reputation of The City of Calgary Fire Department will not be supported and the use of Fire personnel, vehicles, equipment and uniforms will not be allowed. Contact the Sector Specialist with any questions.

If a production company requires the Fire Department to be present on an assigned basis, the request must be made through the Film, Television & Creative Industries office at least ten (10) days in advance. Contact the Sector Specialist with any questions.

Use of fire hydrants

If the use of a fire hydrant is required, contact the Film, Television & Creative Industries office at least two (2) working days in advance. Water Services will inspect the fire hydrant and the film production company's staff will be trained on its use. After completion of filming, Water Services will re-inspect the hydrant. If the hydrant is damaged, Water Services will repair the hydrant and bill the film company for costs incurred.

If a Fire emergency occurs, the Fire Department's use of the fire hydrant shall supersede any other use of the hydrant. The Fire Department must be provided with unobstructed access to the fire hydrant for the duration of the emergency.

Explosives and pyrotechnics

Personnel from Calgary’s Emergency Medical Services, Fire Department and Police Services are required at certain times during filming. Please note: Fees may be applicable. Visit the Fees section to view all EMS/Fire/Police rates, and contact the Sector Specialist with any questions.


Three (3) weeks prior to filming, the Fire Marshal's Office requires a faxed credential outline of the "Blaster" in charge of the explosives and details of their experience, and the credentials and experiences of the Pyrotechnician in charge of all pyro-effects. All credentials will be reviewed by a Safety Codes Officer (Fire Discipline), and if required, the Senior Inspector of the Explosives Branch of Canada in Ottawa will be contacted for verification of qualifications. The Fire Marshal's Office has the right of refusal of any Blaster or Pyrotechnician not holding valid certifications.

Requests for permits for the following must be made in writing to the Sector Specialist ten (10) working days in advance:

  • The transport of any explosives and/or fireworks;
  • The use of any explosives;
  • The use of any fireworks;
  • The use of any pyrotechnics; or,
  • The burning of any buildings or vehicles, etc.

Permits may be obtained from the City of Calgary Fire Department Fire Prevention Bureau or through the Sector Specialist.

The following information must be provided ten (10) working days prior to any explosive, pyrotechnic effect or burning permit being issued:

  • A complete "story board" on what effect is to be done;
  • A complete description of the device, materials, etc. being used to create the special effect;
  • "Exact" amount of explosives to be used and the types of explosives to be used. Types will include who the manufacturer is and the color coding (i.e. "det. cords");
  • The type of delays to be used;
  • How the effect is to be fired, electrically or remotely, or manually;
  • The Blaster in charge must be the same person previously approved;
  • The Pyrotechnician in charge must be the same person previously approved;
  • The exact location including distances from any and all buildings;
  • Proof of insurance in the amount of $5,000,000 (five million dolars); and,
  • The safety precautions and apparatus used to protect the public, cast and crew.

Information provided for the permit may be faxed to the Calgary Police Service Tactical Unit and any effect that is unknown to both the Fire Prevention Bureau and Police Tactical Unit may be required to have a pre-test to determine its explosives limits. The use of any black powders, "Det. Cords", pyro-pak pyrotechnics or any other high explosives will require the attendance of an assigned Safety Codes Officer (Fire Discipline) and may require a member of the Calgary Police Service Tactical Unit to examine and/or offer advice regarding the explosive.

Once an inspection of the site and the special effect to be used has been completed, the assigned Safety Codes Officer (Fire Discipline) shall sign the appropriate permit for that effect. The effect shall not be used until the permit is signed and the effect approved.

Any special effect not using high explosives, i.e. propane cannon, gasoline, etc. will require the attendance of an assigned Safety Codes Officer (Fire Discipline).

The Safety Codes Officer (Fire Discipline) may stop the effect at any time if the public, cast, crew, etc. is in danger from the effect.

Storage and transportation of explosives

A magazine, the manner in which the explosives shall be stored therein and the conditions under which explosives may be stored, shall be governed by and subject to the provisions of the Explosives Act (Canada) and the regulations made thereunder. The transportation of explosives shall be governed by and subject to the provisions of the Explosives Act (Canada) and the regulations thereunder.

For more information, contact Fire Prevention Bureau

  • Telephone: (403) 287-4250 from 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday to Friday and from 8:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m., Saturday and Sunday
  • Fax: (403) 243-9947

Police Services assistance

Personnel from Calgary’s Emergency Medical Services, Fire Department and Police Services are required at certain times during filming. Please note: Fees may be applicable. Visit the Fees section to view all EMS/Fire/Police rates, and contact the Sector Specialist with any questions.

Police presence is required for public safety:

  • To control traffic when roads are closed temporarily or permanently;
  • For any filming involving weapons that will be visible to the public whether they will be fired or not for shots involving moving camera vehicles;
  • To control traffic for any stunts or special effects; or,
  • When explosives are being used.

All applications for Police Assistance in these cases must be made through the Sector Specialist a minimum of five (5) working days in advance.

As Police officers are called in from off-duty they are paid at their overtime rate with a minimum of three (3) hours. Eight hours notice must be given if booked services are not required.

On-duty officers, if available, can be used to assist movie production vehicles change locations where these vehicles must proceed opposite to the flow of traffic. Wrong way moves cannot occur during the rush hour.

The permission of the Calgary Police Service is required if a film production company wishes to film Police personnel vehicles, equipment, buildings, uniforms, etc. The request must be made in writing to the Calgary Police Service (CPS) Public Affairs & Media Relations Unit (PAMRU). To contact the CPS Public Affairs & Media Relations Unit, please call (403) 428-8989 for further instructions. A brief outline of the film including all pertinent details of the script involving Calgary Police Services is required a minimum of ten (10) working days prior to their use.


If firearms are be used and seen by the public and/or discharged, the Calgary Police Services Firearms Support Unit and the Film, Television & Creative Industries office must be notified at least one week (five business days) in advance. Include in the notification the time and location the filming will take place, the nature of the firearms used and the name and permanent address, phone number and date of birth of the gun wrangler.

All film Armourers/Gun Wranglers must be in possession of and be able to produce a Possession & Acquisition License (PAL) as required by the Federal Government on demand. They must be familiar with Canadian Laws with respect to storage/transportation/regulation of permitted/restricted/prohibited firearms (Storage, Display, Handling and Transportation of Certain Firearms Regulations).

All restricted and/or prohibited weapons must have an "Authorization to Transport" permit issued by the Canadian Firearms Centre (CFC). The CFC can be contacted at (403) 206-8041.

Production crews will clean up and restore the location to its original condition at the end of filming unless otherwise directed by the Film, Television & Creative Industries office

What the property owner should consider

1. Initial contact is generally made by a Location Scout or Location Manager, who is hired locally by the film company. This person will be your contact during the duration of the "shoot". Call the Logistics Coordinator at (403) 221-7829 or the Directors Guild of Canada at (403) 217-8672 to check the credentials of the scout and/or the project.

2. Agree upon the exact number of days required for the shoot plus preparation and wrap time. (A shooting day is approximately 14 hours long.) 

3. Arrange for a walk-through with the Location Manager to determine exact interiors and exteriors desired for filming; where equipment and vehicles will need to be positioned or parked; any "off-limits" areas specified by the owner; and any areas such as roof, trees, fences, windows, which may need to be used or altered during filming.

4. Decide what of your (the owners’) personal property may be used for filming; how and where to store items not used; and who will be responsible for packing and moving.

5. Determine who will be allowed on "set" during period of use.

6. Set rules regarding: smoking; use of washrooms; laundry; water; electricity; kitchen; protective floor coverings; trash, etc.

7. Establish guidelines for production company's use of owner's phone and how payment will be made to the owner.

8. Determine with the Location Manager where cast and crew will be eating their meals.

9. Decide how the owner will be accommodated during filming and any living expenses that may be required.

10. Set vehicle parking for cast and crew.

11. Find out the nature of the project and how your location will be used. Will there be special effects like smoke, fire or gunshots?

12. Establish clean-up requirements, who is responsible and when it is to be completed (within 24-48 hours), and arrange with the Location Manager for a final "walk-through" for the owners’ approval.

13. Recognize that location fees are negotiable. The owner should feel comfortable with the amount agreed upon, and a payment schedule should be established prior to any filming.

14. Create a written agreement detailing specifics – the owner may wish to add the following: "The applicant (film company) agrees to indemnify owner and to be solely and absolutely liable upon any and all claims, suits and judgments against the owner and/or applicant for personal injuries and property damages arising out of or occurring during the activities of the applicant, his (its) employees or otherwise. This agreement may be revoked at any time." A principal or agent of the production company should sign this contract.

15. Owner must get a certificate of insurance including a hold harmless clause for protection in case of any injuries on the property. All production companies should carry insurance policies that cover third-party rentals for property damage and liability. A photocopy of the insurance certificate should be given to the owner before any crew comes on the property.

Information for extras

This is one of the best ways to catch a bit of the magic of film making, and to share the glimmer of the spotlight. You'll also learn a little about the hard work that's part of the film industry. An extra is a person hired to provide a controllable background to the main action of the film. They come in all shapes and sizes, and it's fairly easy to become one.

You can register with an agency that provides extras to the film companies. This is a simple procedure of filling out a form which asks you a few vital statistics, when you are able to work, and what special skill you may have. You may be an accomplished horseback rider, dancer or fencer for example. They will also need a photo of you. If you don't have one, the agency will take one for you.

Only talent agencies may require a small fee for registration and photo, but small is the key word here (about $25 - $40 per year). For the fee you should be guaranteed at least one call. (BEWARE: Some disreputable agencies may try to convince you that you need an expensive photo portfolio to become an extra. This is false.) Agencies charge a small fee because their compensation comes from a percentage deducted from your wages. This is standard agency procedure and is incentive to them to find work for you.

Extras generally earn only minimum wage and most agencies take 10 to 15 per cent, depending on the type of work. Another option is to approach each production individually. You can do this by submitting a resume and photo to the attention of EXTRAS CASTING. Do not take a fee or commission. DO NOT call the offices. These offices are extremely busy and will not take any information regarding extra work over the phone.

Being an extra can be fun and exciting, but it is also hard work and requires commitment and a business-like attitude. When you sign up with an agency you will be given information about etiquette on the set. Take it to heart if you want to be asked back. Once you get the hang of it, you'll feel like an old pro. Break a leg!

Guide to on-set etiquette

  1. You are a professional performer. You can help guide other performers through the production day. Someone once helped you. Always set the example of how professionals should behave.
  2. Remember - your word is your bond. If you accept a booking, you are committed to that production. Do not cancel!
  3. A professional always arrives 10 minutes before the call time, prepared to work.
  4. Be organized to show your wardrobe to wardrobe assistants quickly.
  5. Be clear on call time, location and wardrobe before you say goodbye to the casting person who telephoned you, no matter how hurried he/she may be. If you are not sure, ask questions.
  6. If you are still not sure, get the name of the production company and call their office.
  7. Be clear to whom you are talking to. Know the wardrobe assistant's name and hair person's name. Ask.
  8. Know the name of the A.D., P.A., or Casting person who is signing you in and out. Direct questions to the relevant person. You will save your time and theirs.
  9. Follow instructions. When you are moved from place to place, go quickly and quietly.
  10. Keep your holding area clean. Craft service people appreciate your help. Don't argue with them. Keep clean whatever area is set up for a craft service. You will get more by helping in this area than fighting. If something is needed, ask. For example, if you need an aspirin, ask the craft service person, not an A.D. Better still, bring your own. Bring the following items: a pen, spare change (for the pay phone), something to read.
  11. Do not bring valuables to a production.
  12. Don't bring food, drinks or anything that is not part of the set onto the set.
  13. Respect the set and don't rearrange things to suit yourself.
  14. Don't rearrange your hair, make-up or wardrobe for personal comfort after a master has been shot. That hat, scarf or coat (buttoned or unbuttoned) may well be in continuity.
  15. Do your job and remember your action. Give the same action each time.
  16. Listen attentively. Don't make the A.D.'s repeat instructions.
  17. Be aware of equipment and what the camera is doing. Learn to know when you are in frame and when you are not.
  18. Time your washroom visits for slack periods.
  19. If you do go to the washroom, or for a cigarette, tell the A.D., P.A., or Casting person responsible for extras where you are going. Don't wander off. Do return immediately.
  20. If you have a commitment to other work that could limit your ability to do overtime, tell the person responsible for extras as soon as you arrive at work. Be sure he/she understands and that you don't get caught in a continuity situation.
  21. Keep a good attitude through the day (it could be a long one). A positive outlook can make the day go faster and more pleasant for everyone.
  22. Return your wardrobe at the end of the day as nicely as you received it. 
  23. Disagreements: Don't argue. Make your point clearly so that the person understands, and then leave. Also, make sure you are clear in your understanding of the other person's position. Do not hold up the production or prevent people from getting away on time.


Various fees are charged for use of City of Calgary streets, parks, equipment and personnel.

Select a heading to see the full rates for each section. Calgary filming rate sheet is also available to download as a PDF document.

Please note: All rates are subject to change, and all charges are subject to GST (GST #119457869)

Traffic and Parking

Traffic control set-up

Traffic engineering requires a minimum of 2 to 4 business days' notice to coordinate permits and traffic control requests.

Non-emergency lane closures will not be permitted on major streets during peak traffic times (6 - 9 a.m. and 3 - 6 p.m.)

Estimated Flat Rate Fees for City provided Traffic Control (One-time setups):

  • Temporary No Parking Signs / Sidewalk Closed / No Thru Traffic: $230 - $375 + G.S.T.*
  • Single Right or Left Lane closures: $290 - $465 + G.S.T.*
  • 2 Lanes Closed, Two-Way Traffic setups: $500 - $800 + G.S.T.*
  • Road Closed / Major setups: $615 - $990 + G.S.T.*

* These are estimates only.  Fees are subject to change.

***These estimates do not include stock piles or roadways that exceed 60 km/h***

In addition, any use of City of Calgary Right of Way requires Street Use permits at a rate of $18.38 per day (including G.S.T.)

Parking Authority (ParkPlus system)

An applicant requiring the use of reserved parking spaces may also apply for a Temporary No Parking Permit.  These spaces must be posted with appropriate Temporary No Parking Signs (NPAT) at least 12 hours in advance of the start time indicated on the permit. e.g. If an applicant requires use of parking at 08:00 on a Wednesday, the parking space permitted must be posted with NPAT signs by 20:00 Tuesday evening (the previous day). If the applicant has access to approved NPAT signs they are permitted to place their own signs for parking bans / reservations. The applicant may also hire an outside contractor to supply the signs, or for an additional fee the applicant can arrange for The City of Calgary to provide and setup NPAT signs as per the requirements of the Temporary No Parking Permit. If ParkPlus spaces are impacted by permit requests and setups, applicants are also responsible for the parking costs depending on the ParkPlus zone:

  • $30.00 per 6.5m space per day in the Core ($20.00 on Saturdays)
  • $20.00 per 6.5m space per day in Downtown
  • $10.00 per 6.5m space per day in ParkPlus outside of the Downtown and the Core zones.

Rates at ParkPlus meters and parkades vary – please visit for a location map and applicable rates.

Parks and recreation

Pathway segments and green space rates - 2014
  • Green Space $50.50 per day *
  • Pathways (except below) $50.50 per day *
  • Pathway segments B04 - 07 $73.64 per day **
  • Special Event Admin Fee $26.25 (non-refundable, due upon processing of application)
  • A $3.00 Risk Management Fee is applied to each permit.
  • A $26.25 special event admin fee is due upon receipt of the application and is non-refundable.

Cancellations or amendments must be received a minimum of seven (7) business days prior to the rental date. An administrative fee of $10.00 + GST will be charged once for up to 10 cancellations or amendments, per permit, per request. Cancellations or amendments received within seven (7) business days of the booking are non-refundable. It is strongly suggested that amendments are made with at least 6 - 8 weeks notice due to the potential need for further consideration.

*Picnic site fees apply if booking a picnic site for a special event. If additional green space is required to accommodate the event, additional green space fee will apply.

**B04 – 07 are Bow River Pathways:

Shouldice Park Pathway, Edworthy Park Pathway, Prince’s Island Park North & South Pathways

Picnic site rates - 2014
  • 1 - 25 People $60.40
  • 50 People $104.64
  • 51 - 100 People $201.10
  • 101 - 150 People
    • $338.47 *Minimum Price for Bowness sites 1 - 5 during the high season, Beginning after May long weekend through to October long weekend.
  • 151 - 200 People $477.17
  • 201 - 250 People $615.64
  • 251 - 300 People $754.35
  • 301 - 400 People $961.45
  • 401 - 500 People $1,238.52

Fees include a $3.00 Risk Management fee and a $10.50 administration fee.

Cancellations or amendments must be received a minimum of seven (7) business days prior to the rental date. An administrative fee of $10.00 + GST will be charged once for up to 10 cancellations or amendments, per permit, per request. Cancellations or amendments received within seven (7) business days of the booking are non-refundable.

Inclement weather refunds will be given in the event of significant precipitation (heavy rain, hail, sleet and snow). It is the permit holder’s responsibility to contact the Bookings office to arrange a refund. Refunds will be granted on a case-by-case basis depending on historical data supplied by Environment Canada. Refunds will NOT be granted in the event of cold weather or strong winds.

All fees include GST

D & E Playfield Rates - 2014

Ball diamonds must be booked in 3 hour blocks. Fields can be booked hourly.

Minor 1 hour 2 hours 3 hours

D Class Field/Diamond $2.16 $4.32 $6.48

E Class Field/Diamond $1.05 $2.10 $3.15

Adult 1 hour 2 hours 3 hours

D Class Field/Diamond $19.46 $38.92 $58.38

E Class Field/Diamond $4.15 $8.30 $12.45

A $3.00 Risk Management Fee is applied to each permit. All fees listed above and the Risk Management fee includes GST. Playfield bookings are subject to a minimum $10.00 + GST fee for one time bookings or if the total cost of the permit is less than $10.00.

An administrative fee of $10.00 + GST will be charged per maximum of 10 cancellations or amendments, per permit, per request. Subsequent administration fees are charged for requests exceeding 10 changes.

D-Class fields or diamonds – Cancellations or amendments received a minimum of seven (7) business days prior to the rental date will be provided with a refund or credit. Cancellations or amendments received with less than seven (7) business days’ notice are non-refundable.

E-Class fields or diamonds – Non-refundable as of April 15th, regardless of notice provided. No refunds are given for inclement weather/rainouts (*exception – tournaments) All Tournament and Day Camp requests are subject to a non-refundable $26.25 admin fee due upon receipt of the application.

All Tournament and Day Camp requests require an application & approval and 25% of the total cost of the permit is also non-refundable.

Field Definitions:

D Class: Fields that are maintained by City of Calgary Parks

*Second character in playfield code is 1 (ie. B1ABB03) E Class: Fields that are maintained by CBE or CSSD

*Second character in playfield code is 5 is CBE maintained (ie. B5REN15)

*Second character in playfield code is 6 is CSSD maintained (ie: S6REN18)

City-owned property and vehicles

Use of City-owned property


Bus – stationary / parked at City site 

$111 per hour (based on rate for charter with a volunteer driver)

Bus with driver to drive them around while shooting 

$140 per hour

C-Train (1 Car) stationary 
  • $353 per hour
  • The car still would have to be supervised by Transit employee
C-Train (1 Car) with driver 

$353 per hour per car


Police officer

Constable $136.80/hour plus GST
Sergeant $161.36/hour plus GST
Staff Sergeant $166.04/hour plus GST
Marked vehicle Add $30/hour plus GST (maximum $360/day/vehicle)

 (GST # 119457869)

There is a minimum three (3) hour charge per officer and vehicle per event.

We require a minimum of 2-weeks’ notice for all new requests. Although we can sometimes work within a shorter time-frame, the more notice we have of your event the more likely we will be able to fill your request.


Four (4) working days' notice (Monday through Friday) required to request officers.

To make a new request for pay duty service, or to make a change to an existing request, please contact:

Pay Duty Office, 403-428-2023, between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. each working day

24-hour notice must be provided to the CPS Pay Duty Office to avoid cancellation charges.

To cancel a request scheduled for:

Three (3) hour charge per officer for insufficient cancellation notification.


Fire department

Please note:All fire department pricing includes the appropriate amount of personnel to man the following vehicles.

Pumper $985/hour
Aerial $1,695/hour
Tanker $715/hour
Emergency $595/hour
Rescue boat $355/hour


Pyrotechnic and open flame permit

Open flame $45/location
Pyrotechnics $100/location
Special effects/high level $115/location
Five (5) or more locations $500
Safety codes fee $10
Safety codes officer $85/hour


EMS Medical stand-by (one paramedic with response unit)



Ambulance with two paramedics



The following is a list of Calgary region-based companies that cater to the film & TV industry. These companies are available to filmmakers and producers looking to work in the Calgary region.


Alberta Film Commission

Alberta Film - Edmonton


Alberta Film Commissioner: Jeff Brinton

Alberta Film - Calgary


Locations Coordinator: Marla Touw

Alberta Film Incentives

Archives & Research

Glenbow Museum


Museum of the Regiments


Provincial Archives of Alberta


Animal Talent

Jarret Productions Ltd.


John Scott Motion Picture Animals


Instinct for Film 


Stunts Canada


Animation & VFX

Jump Studios


Solid Green Design



Audio Production & Post-Production

Audio Supplies

Camera Rentals, Sales & Services

Costumes & Supplies

Alberta Boot Company Inc.


Momentum Design Ltd.


The Wizard's Wardrobe


Educational Programs - Film

Alberta College of Art + Design 


The Banff Centre


Mount Royal University


Red Deer College


Southern Alberta Institute of Technology (SAIT)


University of Calgary


Equipment - LX & Grip

B&E Electronic Supply


MTM Equipment Rentals Ltd.


Wildrose Lighting Ltd.


WF White International Inc.




Doug Lord - Lawyer


Heenan Blaikie LLP


LuAnneBorden Ladner Gervais LLP


Mobile Film Catering

Big Sky Motion Picture Catering




Filmworks Catering


Photography & Aerial Photography

Abitibi Helicopters Ltd.


Alpine Helicopters Ltd.


Compass Studios Cole Grey - Director/Lead Photographer


Heli Productions


Prairie Rotors Inc.


Production Helicopters Ltd.


Post-Production & Filming

Emerge Learning


Jump Studios


The Post Office Post Production


Production Companies - Film & TV

Advance HD




Alberta Aerial Video Photography & Photography Productions Inc


Angle Media Group


Anjou Film and Entertainment


Archetype Productions Inc.




Burns Film


C-1 Film Productions Corp.


Caber Media Services Inc.

Calgary Video Production


Camera Cats


Canadian Bollywood


Chaos A Film Company


Cielo Pictures


Corkscrew Media Inc.


Combustion Inc.


DB Entertainment


EAO Motion Pictures Inc.


Earth to Sky Pictures Inc.


Emerge Learning


Empire Pictures 


Feature Productions


Fearon Productions


Fresh Cut Television


Global Television - Creative Services, Calgary


HBW Entertainment Inc.


HDTV Productions Inc.


ICOM Productions


Illusions Entertainment Corp.


In-Houze Productions Inc.


Interstate 80


Joe Media Group


Kelly Brothers Production

403.261. 3808

L&C Style Productions


L&L Production Group


LampLight Productions


Marano Productions Inc.


Media One Communications


Murder Incorporated Film Company Ltd.


New Branch Media


Nomadic Pictures


Pentalpha Productions Inc.


Presentations Coach


Pyramid Productions


Regan Productions Ltd.


Rite Productions


Rob Alden Productions


Rob Ing Productions


Scorched Ice Digital


Seven24 Films


Sherana Productions Ltd.


Skipping Stone Productions


Starland Studios


Storybox Studio


Sugarfilm Canada Inc.


Thalheimer Film


The Edge Communications Inc


The Producers Ltd.


Tomali Pictures




Voice Pictures


Zoom Productions


Production Vehicles/Services

Blue Sky Tours & Executive Transportation


G2 Rentals


Little Traveller

403.242.4067 / 1.877.242.4067

Paper Cut Media Services Inc.


Pioneer Offroad Rentals


Travis Burke - Freelance Videographer

403.878.5425 email:

Rental Vehicles

CMP - Classic Rentals & Leasing


Enterprise Rent-A-Car


Hyatt Rentals and Leasing


National Car and Truck Rentals


Pioneer Offroad Rentals



Jase Security

Set Construction

F&D Scene Changes Ltd.


Heavy Industries


PALCOPREP Inc. Drumheller, AB


Reclaimed Trading Company


Studio Y Creations


Special Effects Supplies

Talent Agencies/ Casting Directors

AAB Talent Agency


Dagaz Talent


Deb Green Casting


Empire Talent Inc.




Travel Agencies

Carol Marshall Travel


Vision 2000 Travel Alberta


Unions, Guilds and Associations

ACTRA Alberta


Alberta Music Industry Association




Calgary Musicians Association


Director's Guild of Canada - Alberta


IATSE Local 212


IATSE Local 669


Teamsters Local 362


Need more information?

Jolayne Motiuk

Team Assistant, Creative Industries

Office Phone: (403) 221-7886


Up Next: Creative Industries

Action Calgary

See All Partners
back to top