Permits & Applications
A film permit(s) is required to film any theatrical motion picture, television program, television commercial or music video on streets or property under the jurisdiction of the Corporation of The City of Calgary, or when off-street film-making affects the normal use of the adjacent street.
- This permit requirement does not apply to television stations preparing stories for news or current affairs programs. Similarly, it does not apply to businesses or individuals retained by City of Calgary business units to prepare training or promotional materials for City purposes.
- Changes, corrections or additions to an original permit will require a new permit application.
To film in Calgary two mandatory application forms are required. Your Certificate of Insurance can be faxed to the Film, Television & Creative Industries office at (403) 221-7828.
The following documentation must be on file with The City of Calgary or the Film, Television & Creative Industries Commission before any permits will be issued:
This information sheet provides basic information about the production and the production company; a brief outline of all planned activities; the initial shooting schedule; and approximate number of cast and crew members.
2. Acceptance of Terms and Conditions for Filming in Calgary – form must be downloaded and faxed, or attached to the Film Production Information Sheet when submitted.
A location agreement (Acceptance of Terms and Conditions) with the City of Calgary must be signed for productions of 10 days or less. For productions of more than 10 days, a long form Location Agreement must be signed. Comprehensive general liability insurance in the amount of not less than $2,000,000 (two million dollars) inclusive limit for any occurrence. Additional insurance may be required depending on the filming activities in which case the amount will be decided by The City's Risk Manager. Liability Insurance must be provided by an insurance company registered to do business in the Province of Alberta;
- Automobile third-party liability insurance in the amount of not less than $1,000,000 (one million dollars) inclusive limit covering all vehicles used in connection with the film-making activities;
- The City of Calgary and Calgary Economic Development are to be named as an additional insured;
- That any and all claims or legal suits or actions involved must be dealt with in accordance with the laws of the Province of Alberta and under the jurisdiction of the Law Courts of Alberta.
Commonly used forms
In order to expedite the permit application process, detailed and accurate information is required.
This permit is for access to parking or filming on Calgary streets, and includes all equipment, vehicles, explosives, stunts and animals.
This permit is for access to filming within Calgary parks, and includes all equipment, utility requirements, explosives and noise exception requests.
Maps of Calgary parks
Below are maps of all Calgary parks - please refer to these when filling out the parks use permit. To expedite the permitting process, download the applicable map, indicate filming/parking locations and e-mail the complete map to email@example.com