Industry studies & reports
View sector profiles and other research publications for all of Calgary Economic Development’s sectors of focus – including energy, financial services and creative industries.
Fuel Forward: Propelling Transportation with Natural Gas - March 21, 2012
The Canada West Foundation will use the information and ideas from the conference and the subsequent roundtable to author a document on using natural gas as a transportation fuel in the future. Stay tuned for a copy of this report.
Natural gas panel
- Dean Foreman - Chief Economist, Talisman Energy
- David Haugen, Team Lead of Market Development - Natural Gas Economic Strategic Planning, Encana
- Dr. David Layzell, Executive Director - Institute of Sustainable Energy, Environment & Economy, University of Calgary
- Alicia Milner, President, Canadian Natural Gas Vehicle Alliance
- Les Markiewicz, Senior Director - Corporate Accounts, Westport Innovations
- Russell Davies, Manager - Transit Fleet, Calgary Transit (no presentation available)
- Chad Porter, Chief Operating Officer, Ferus Inc.
Note: Sam Shaw's keynote presentation is not available.
Who's on deck? Succession best practices forum - November 16, 2010
Calgary Economic Development hosted a half-day practices forum focusing on succession planning - the deliberate practice of identifying and grooming individuals for key roles within the company. The session featured a keynote address by Dr. S. Brett Savage, who has worked and consulted for a number of companies, including IBM and Dell. Additionally, participants took part in a real-time, interactive succession planning exercise.The forum also featured a panel discussion, highlighting best practices used by Calgary companies within administrative, professional and trade ranks and a presentation on the value of mentorship and topical roundtable discussions.
- Dr. S. Brett Savage keynote
- Mike Grogan - Calgary Chamber of Voluntary Organizations (panel presentation)
- Jodi Baker - Standens (panel presentation)
- Lynn Roger - BMO (panel presentation)
- David Knudson - City of Calgary (panel presentation)
- Marie-France Varin & Bruce Randall - Calgary Region Immigrant Employment Council (mentorship presentation)
Carbon Finance Conference - October 20-21, 2010
As part of the Carbon Finance Conference, Calgary Economic Development authored a pre-discussion paper for a forum hosted by the Pembina Institute and the Institute for Sustainable Energy, Environment and Economy (ISEEE). The purpose was to of start a multi-stakeholder discussion on policy options to advance both cogeneration and wind power opportunities in the province of Alberta.